It’s all objective these days. At click of a button you can visit a exotic location, drive a super car or explore a different planet. So my point is if we have precision for everything, where is the scope of Imagination ?
We hardly today see campaigns which would cut across generations. The last I remember was Vodafone Dog campaign which is fresh even today. And I see a trend in this, we have started to spend less time visualizing and more time answering social media calls. When was the last time, without googling did you make a picture of a place you desperately wanted to visit ? When was the last time we heard a song which made you cry ? When was the last time we wrote an essay or letter to our friends and relatives?
Answer is NO in most cases. This is because we love being spontaneous than imaginative. We fail to visualize a communication because our focus is on execution and delivery.
I believe marketer of tomorrow needs to spend more time in Imagination. As I would to put it “IMAGINING IS IMAGING”.
This doesn’t mean meditate or go aloof. But just follow one or few or all of below and see the change :
- Go Handsfree – Spend mobile free 3 hrs a day. This would give you enough mental impetus to think at ur work or at home.
- Write an Essay – Go back to school,pick up a pen and write 500 words essay on various topics once a week dedicatedly
- Indulge in Outdoor activities – being within four walls restricts ideas, curtails thoughts. Go out for walks post work, play a sport or trek, take a drive or cycle, but ensure you spend 6 hours a week on outdoors.
- Think Aloud – while doing above, leave your mind to any random topic and deep dive into it basis your imagination. E.g. Imagine about being on a work stay at North Korea ? Or Watching a movie with Mr Bachchan etc.
- Make your mind lyrical – Play with words and appreciate a lyrical. Power to recognize words gives you ability to imagine even better.
Imagination connects individual customers to experiences they love more closely, more actively and more lastingly. We live in a world where the power of experiences has never been greater.
Unclutter your mind to Imagine !
Authored by Samar Kagalwalla